Read this first: https://manchesteris.org/blog/?p=641
St.Casimir’s Church was on Oldham Road on the corner of Reather Street. The Priest’s (Rev.Foltin’s) house was at no.1 Reather Street, behind the church.
In 1901 this building was a Methodist Free Chapel and is built in that style.
It was bought in 1925 for £8000 by the Poles, Lithuanians and Ukrainians (Rusny). It had the only gold incense burner in England at the time. There was also a school for the children. Various Lithuanian priests were invited from time to time: Fr. Ilgys, Prel. Ladyga, Fr. Gečys, Fr. Slavinas and Fr. Staškūnas.
In 1931, the St.Casimir Society was founded. It had about 40 members and was led by V.Valinskas. Fr. Ladyga took care of Lithuanian religious matters.
It is not clear when the Ukrainians seperated from this community. In 1931, Bishop Andrey Sheptytsky and Fr. Josyf Slipyj, both of the Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church, made a pastoral visit to Manchester. A Ukrainian Catholic congregation was established at St. Chad’s RC Church in the 1930s, which continued until the Ukrainian Catholic parish became established at its present location on Bury Old Road at the Dormition of Our Lady Church.
Due to various political tensions in Europe, the relationship between the local Poles and the Lithuanians broke down, there was not enough money to pay the loan and so the Bishop of Salford passed the church to the Poles in 1934.
In 1961, when the photograph was taken, it was a garment factory. Locals mentioned you could see the ladies working on the sewing machines making raincoats in the basement.
These days, Reather Street has disappeared and the site of the church is covered by grass.