Family histories

People and places that give an idea of who lived where in the first half of the 20th century.

Photographs are particularly welcome. We will fix the technical stuff if necessary.

Work places such as Reynolds Rubber factory works where they made slippers.

Churches such as St.Casimir’s and St.Chad’s.

Posted in History 1860-1948 | 6 Comments

1917 Support Society

The Support Society was formed on 6th May 1917. Its first committee was Pranas Puodžiūnas, Jonas Muraška and Juozas Trečiokas.

If stopped working after WWI when many Lithuanians left for Scotland and America.

In 1920, the focus turned to supporting the newly independent Lithuania. A committee was formed comprising chairman J.Rudzevižius, secretary P.Slivinskas, treasurer P.Puodžiūnas.  Its principal activity was to collect donations for Lithuania. They gave the first £35 to a man to take it to Lithuania but he kept it. They collected another £64 and sent it via the Lithuanian Minister in London, K.Bizauskas.

Pranas Puodžiūnas

 

Jonas Muraszka (Muraška)

Posted in History 1860-1948 | Leave a comment

Chairmen of Lithuanian Club

1925 J.Rudzevičius
?
1931 V.Valinskas
?
1947-1950(I)  S.Misiukevičius
1950(II) V.Astrauskas
1951 M.Kriaučionis
1952-1953(I) L.Venckus
1953(II) A.Pakalnis
1954-1958 A.Kuzmickas
1959  A.Pakalnis
1960-1961 Ant.Jaloveckas
1962 A.Kuzmickas
1963 A.Kublinskas
1964-1966 V.Kupstys
1967 A.Kublinskas
1968 D.Dainauskas
1969 V.Kupstys
1970 L.Puras
1971 A.Stankevičius
1972 J.Verbickas
1973-1976 V.Bernatavičius
1977-1978 V.Kupstys
1979 J.Podvoiskis
1980 A.Jeloveckas
1981 V.Kupstys
1982 P.Podvoiskis
1983(I) H.Silius
1983(II)-1984 V.Bernatavičius
1985-1999 A.Podvoiskis
2000-2001 H.Vaineikis
2002-2003 P.Virbickas
2004 O.Virbickas
2005-2010 F.Bernatavičius

Simas Misiukevicius

Antanas Jeloveckas

Vladas Kupstys

Arkadijus Podvoiskis

Posted in History 1948-2000 | Leave a comment

1991: Landsbergis visit

 One of the political figures around the time Lithuania restored its independence was Professor Vytautas Landsbergis. During his visit to the UK in October 1991 he found time to visit the Lithuanian Club in Manchester. The hosts were Lithuanian Conservative Party supporters but others came along too. Also attending was Laima Andriukienė who was studying at Manchester University and later was elected to Lithuania’s parliament “Seimas”.

Eimutis Šova of the Lithuanian Association in GB

Laima Andriukienė came to meet Landsbergis in Manchester

Posted in History 1948-2000 | 1 Comment

Maps

 

Pilling St and Reather St 1930

Pilling St and Reather St 1935

Fragment from googlemap 2010

[Maps from http://www.artus-fh.co.uk/Manchester%201935/1b%201935.html]
[Click the maps for a bigger image]

 

Pilling Street (left mark) is clearly today’s Peary St.  Then St.Casimir’s Chapel, later the Club, was next to Stephens and Biesty Garage. Today, that is occupied by the rear of Collyhurst Police Station.

The location of St.Casimir’s Church was on the corner of Oldham Road and Reather Street, which has gone completely.

The priest, Rev. Aloysius Foltin, lived at 1 Reather Street at the Oldham Road end, behind the church.

Posted in History 1860-1948 | Tagged | Leave a comment

Trading

1938 "Kaunas" docks in Salford

On the 6th May 1938, Lithuanian ship “Kaunas” arrived at Manchester Docks. In the front row from left to right: Jonas Muraška; ship’s Captain Krištopaitis; British representative of “Pieno Centras” [Milk Centre] Pranas Šveikauskas. After this meeting, the dignatries went to the Lithuanian Club. Later, the club members came to the ship to meet the crew.

1939 Lithuanian Consulate, 27 County Buildings, 4 Cannon Street, Manchester [Kelly directory].

1940 Lithuanian Consulate, Sanfield, Wythenshawe Road, Manchester [Kelly directory].

1940 August-December, Germany bombed Manchester.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manchester_Dock_No_9.jpg

Manchester Docks, early 20th century

Posted in History 1860-1948 | Leave a comment

After WW2

121 Middleton Road

 

 
There is a lot of information about the many activities mostly written in Lithuanian.

 

If you have some personal photographs or recollections please send them in.

Posted in History 1948-2000 | 2 Comments

The Begining

The reprisals that followed the 1863 Polish-Lithuanian uprising against Russian domination were brutal. Many people left their home country to avoid conscription or exile to Siberia. Some came to Gt.Britain, including Manchester, formed local communities and their own institutions.

1885 There were 7 Lithuanian families in Manchester itself. Others lived in towns as far west as Liverpool. Outside of London and Glasgow, this became the third largest community in Gt.Britain.

1903-4 Lithuanians, Poles and Ruthenians (White Russians) establish a chapel and club in Manchester.

1910 The Slavonic Club (later the Koscinaski), 77 Angel Street, Rochdale Road, is established.

1915 “Vytautas Club” is closed for breaking the law.

19?? St Casimir’s Club, Pilling Street, Rochdale Road, now the Lithuanian Catholic Club.

1915 The Lithuanian Catholic Club, 32 Richardson Street, Rochdale Road. Struck off March 1918.

1917 “Catholic Club” closed for disorder offences.

1918 February 16th an independent Lithuania is declared.

1920-4 St Casimir’s chapel for Lithuanians, Poles and Ruthenians at Pilling Street, Rochdale Road. Reverend Aloysius Foltin. [Slater’s directory]

1921 The Lithuanian (which?) club begins buying beer from Groves and Whitnall Ltd.

Presented to the Lithuanian Social Club in regognition of 50 years of trading by Groves and Whitnall Ltd 1971

Presented to the Lithuanian Social Club in recognition of 50 years of trading by Groves and Whitnall Ltd 1971

1925-6 The chapel is not listed. Transferred to St Casimir’s Church on Oldham Road. Reverend Aloysius Foltin.

1925 NEW CLUB: “In Manchester there is a Lithuanian Social Club with about 80 members, formed in 1925” [‘Pasaulio lietuvis’, J.Zmuidzinas, 1935, Kaunas]

1927-40 Lithuanian Social Club, Pilling Street, Rochdale Road, occupying former site of St Casimir’s. [Kelly directory]

1931 Lithuanian Catholic Society of St.Casimir; chairman Valinskas, religious matters Rev. Ladyga.

1934 St.Casimir’s church is closed by the bishop because of unpaid debts. The tension between Lithuania and Poland had split the  community in Manchester.

1939 Lithuanian Consulate, 27 County Buildings, 4 Cannon Street, Manchester.

1940 Lithuanian Consulate, Sanfield, Wythenshawe Road, Manchester.

World War II: 1940 August-December Germany bombed Manchester.

1942 Club is not listed.

1947  Club is revived in hired premises (terraced house), 453 Rochdale Road.

1948 December 19th Club Annual General Meeting decides to buy new premises at 121 Middleton Road, Crumpsall, and the contract is signed the next day.

1950 Lithuanian Society of St.Casimir celebrates the feast of “Christ the King”

1951 May 18th Whitsun Walks with 100 Lithuanians taking part. Whitsun

1952 Lithuanian Social Club, secretary – J.Bendorius, 121 Middleton Road, Manchester 8, tel. CHE 5039. Roman Catholic Services are on the first Sunday of each month at Notre Dame Girls’ High School, Bignor street, Cheetham, and on the third Sunday of each month at St. Mary’s Church, Eccles. [Official Handbook of Manchester District, 1952-53]

Notre Dame Chapel

Notre Dame Chapel

Does your family have a photographs of the premises at Pilling Street?

Posted in History 1860-1948 | 6 Comments