The reprisals that followed the 1863 Polish-Lithuanian uprising against Russian domination were brutal. Many people left their home country to avoid conscription or exile to Siberia. Some came to Gt.Britain, including Manchester, formed local communities and their own institutions.
1885 There were 7 Lithuanian families in Manchester itself. Others lived in towns as far west as Liverpool. Outside of London and Glasgow, this became the third largest community in Gt.Britain.
1903-4 Lithuanians, Poles and Ruthenians (White Russians) establish a chapel and club in Manchester.
1910 The Slavonic Club (later the Koscinaski), 77 Angel Street, Rochdale Road, is established.
1915 “Vytautas Club” is closed for breaking the law.
19?? St Casimir’s Club, Pilling Street, Rochdale Road, now the Lithuanian Catholic Club.
1915 The Lithuanian Catholic Club, 32 Richardson Street, Rochdale Road. Struck off March 1918.
1917 “Catholic Club” closed for disorder offences.
1918 February 16th an independent Lithuania is declared.
1920-4 St Casimir’s chapel for Lithuanians, Poles and Ruthenians at Pilling Street, Rochdale Road. Reverend Aloysius Foltin. [Slater’s directory]
1921 The Lithuanian (which?) club begins buying beer from Groves and Whitnall Ltd.
1925-6 The chapel is not listed. Transferred to St Casimir’s Church on Oldham Road. Reverend Aloysius Foltin.
1925 NEW CLUB: “In Manchester there is a Lithuanian Social Club with about 80 members, formed in 1925” [‘Pasaulio lietuvis’, J.Zmuidzinas, 1935, Kaunas]
1927-40 Lithuanian Social Club, Pilling Street, Rochdale Road, occupying former site of St Casimir’s. [Kelly directory]
1931 Lithuanian Catholic Society of St.Casimir; chairman Valinskas, religious matters Rev. Ladyga.
1934 St.Casimir’s church is closed by the bishop because of unpaid debts. The tension between Lithuania and Poland had split the community in Manchester.
1939 Lithuanian Consulate, 27 County Buildings, 4 Cannon Street, Manchester.
1940 Lithuanian Consulate, Sanfield, Wythenshawe Road, Manchester.
World War II: 1940 August-December Germany bombed Manchester.
1942 Club is not listed.
1947 Club is revived in hired premises (terraced house), 453 Rochdale Road.
1948 December 19th Club Annual General Meeting decides to buy new premises at 121 Middleton Road, Crumpsall, and the contract is signed the next day.
1950 Lithuanian Society of St.Casimir celebrates the feast of “Christ the King”
1952 Lithuanian Social Club, secretary – J.Bendorius, 121 Middleton Road, Manchester 8, tel. CHE 5039. Roman Catholic Services are on the first Sunday of each month at Notre Dame Girls’ High School, Bignor street, Cheetham, and on the third Sunday of each month at St. Mary’s Church, Eccles. [Official Handbook of Manchester District, 1952-53]
Does your family have a photographs of the premises at Pilling Street?